Saturday, October 2, 2010

Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Playa's go to Amsterdam.



As a single woman, I have heard my fair share of advice about relationships.  Friends, family, even strangers in the hair salon take it upon themselves to share little nuggets of wisdom to help me, y’know, find that right mate.

Some of this advice is welcome, much of it not.  Yet for some reason, these random tidbits of information stay with me. 

Like this one: You never know who you’re going to meet.  Keep yourself open to possibilities.

That seems pretty mundane advice, right?  Advice about relationships and love are akin to the answer to the question, “How long is a piece of string?” 


Now, I’m not going to go all “Carrie” on this post and create a single girl’s guide to all things in love and war.  But I will say that, every once in a while, I do let the sound of my mother’s voice repeating this advice – over and over and over again – get the best of me.

So, I put on my best I-only-look-like-I-put-this-together-casually outfit, check my hair and make-up (twice) in the mirror, and head out for an adventure – optimistic for whatever may happen.

And there I am, outside a concert at Pier 6, when I hear this from a group of guys sitting next to me:
Man: “I’m going to Amsterdam for the babes and the bud.  Either are better there than what I’m getting here.”
I guess he doesn’t speak to his mom much anymore.


Hey ya’ll – I’m opening up the gmail for your Bmore Overheard contributions.  Send me your best, worst, silly, or just plain ridiculous overheards and I will do my best to give it justice.  Email me at: ajinbmore@gmail.com.  Sa-weet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment